Monday, March 14, 2011

The Dentist: Act I

I took Joel to the Dentist today- for the first time. I KNOW! I am way behind the curve and about 3 years late. But if you ask me it was worth it because Joel handled it like a champ; and so did I. Here's a little secret, I am kind of afraid of the dentist. Well not so much the dentist but the sounds at the dentist. The drill, the polisher, the clicking of the metal plaque scraper. Even the very thought of all these send my anxiety levels soaring! But this isn't about me. It's about Joel and he was NOT afraid of the dentist.


First they took X-Rays of his teeth. He did awesome and thought it was really cool that the dental assistant let him see them as they popped up on the computer screen.

All suited up for the X-Ray.
(He's such a goof. He looks really serious here but he smiled as soon as I took the picture.)

Next it was time to clean his teeth.
They let him pick his own flavor of cleaner; he chose cherry.
Did I mention that he got to watch "Shrek III" while they were cleaning?!
Sometimes he forgot that they were cleaning his teeth and
they'd have to ask him to open his mouth wide.
He's already training to do the whole "male-zone-out-in-front-of-the-tv" thing.

Then Dr. C came in and counted all his teeth.
He said they all looked good.
NO CAVITIES! YAY
Again Joel got distracted by the TV while the doc checked out his teeth.

All in all it was a great trip to the dentist. We'll go back tomorrow for Vance. Hopefully it will be a great experience for him too. (Crossing my fingers!)

3 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I can't believe how big Joel is! I hope Vance's appointment goes just as well tomorrow.

Brian and Janette said...

Oh...I've kind of been dreading the day we have to take McRae. I'll probably wait until I know for sure his experience will be as smooth sailing as Joel's!

Diane said...

Your not behind, I didn't take Tyler for his first visit until after he was 4. It was last August actually! I think waiting until they are older is the way to go because Tyler's first visit went great too! Now I plan on taking Riley to all of Tyler's visits so he can see how 'fun' the dentist is!