Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Our Valentine's Day

So I'm not one who usually goes all out for the commercial side of Valentine's Day. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, I despise waiting for 2 hours for dinner that is served by a cranky and overworked waiter and is mediocre at best, and expectations that have been set by the greeting card company to boost their bottom line. But I got a killer deal on a new truck set for Vance (Wal-Mart's after Christmas clearance is AMAZING once January 31st rolls around). So I did cave and bought gifts for the boys and Tj. The day was filled with chorus' of "Happy Valentine's Day Mommy!" from the boys, a surprise delivery of flowers (from Tj to me), and a semi-relaxing comfort-food-filled dinner (roast, mashed potatoes, gravy and Rhodes Rolls which would have been ideal if I had a personal chef to make it for us but alas was marred only by the fact that I made it and was stressed trying to time it so that it was all ready at the same time). Literally I could not have scripted a better Valentine's Day. This is partially due to the low expectations. Let's rewind to LAST Valentine's Day.
Valentine's Day 2010. Tj was going on month TWO of training in Washington DC while I held down the fort in FL. We had planned for Tj to come home for the long president's day weekend- the first time we'd see him since his leaving for training (approx 42 days). Then the HUGE winter snow storm hit and the his original flight was delayed, and then delayed again and finally canceled. Shortly after he should have been arriving- but wasn't because of the dang weather- I began an intimate relationship with my toilet thanks to a stomach flu. The next day was spent in bed and the following day was spent also in bed with Tj's dear Grandmother watching the kids as I was completely out of it. This was followed by the boys spending the remainder of the day at Nama and Pa's only to be returned at bedtime and put to bed by Nama and Pa because I was still out of it. Needless to say it was less than a stellar Valentine's Day that extended through the entire weekend.

So this Valentine's day was already a step ahead seeing as how Tj was home! The rest was just icing on the proverbial cake. Here are some of the highlights:

The boys with the package from Nama and Pa.

Spiderman chocolate and funny cards,
doesn't get better than this!

Except of course for the bubble wrap!


The other gifts (from Mom and Dad).
Toy Story chocolate- score!
New Leapster Game for Joel,
New truck set for Vance.

Tj putting together the truck set.
My hero!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Looks like you guys had a great day, isn't it amazing how our holidays even V-days are getting more fun with the passing of the years and the kids are growing? You look great girl.