Monday, December 15, 2008

Seven Year Itch

So I haven't posted in a little while. We're settling into our new home and FINALLY got Internet. If you want a good laugh you've got to read Tj's description here. But that's not why I'm posting today. Today is Tj and my anniversary.



We are celebrating seven (yes SEVEN!!!) years of being married. I know that's not really THAT long in the whole eternal perspective or even compared to Tj's parents who just celebrated 30 years this fall. But it's a pretty remarkable feat for us. So please forgive me while I get a little sentimental. In tribute to being married seven years here's 7 random facts or stories about the last seven years.

*I never expected to marry Tj. He was suppose to be a fun summer fling while I finished my education and attained a whole slew of goals I had set for myself. He was also so different from many of the people I had ever dated. But we spent a lot of time together that summer and by the end of the summer Tj had become one of my best friends. I know it's really corny but Tj is truly my best friend. He's still quite different from me and I still wonder sometimes how we ever managed to get together. But I can't imagine my life without him. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father surpassed my expectations and that we were both "ready" for our eternal family.

*Tj and I are about as opposite as two people can be. Where I'm a planner and an organizer Tj is really laid back. I came from a family of 9 with 6 other brothers and sisters, Tj is an only child. Tj is very logical and I'm a much more emotional personal. But in so many ways we complement each other. Sometime it's a struggle to compromise and appreciate our differences but so far we've managed to find a way.

*Originally we wanted to get married in the Las Vegas Temple. After discussing this plan with our parents though it was suggested that we chose a location where only one family had to travel. So since Tj's parents were doing our reception (see next point) we chose to get married in the Boise, ID Temple. We were really fortunate to have both sets of our parents, my grandma, all my siblings and their families, my good friend Denise, Tj's favorite mission companion and his wife- Nate and Marie, and his good friend from high school Rob along with many of Tj's extended family.

*Tj's mom planned our entire wedding reception. My parents always told us that as long as THEY didn't have to do our reception they would send us on a cruise or give us the money. So we took them up on the offer. But because Tj's an only child his parents really wanted to have a reception. So his mom asked if SHE (and of course his dad) could give us a reception. I told her that if she wanted to plan it I would be fine with it. So I gave her the colors and what I DIDN'T want (Christmas theme, huge bows everywhere, etc) and let her take it away. She did a really good job with it all.

*We have lived in two states and four cities. We've visited six states for vacation (we spend most of our vacations visiting family and friends back home). Tj's visited lots of states, countries and cities without me. He's the traveler out of us- I'm a homebody.

*We have had a regular date night since we got married. We are fortunate to have Tj's parents so close to help babysit the boys for us. It's something we look forward to. Even if it's just a movie after the kids have gone to bed or a trip to the ballet or a meal at a nice restaurant. I love our date nights.

*It may not have been love at first sight for Tj and I but we are still madly in love! There's nobody I can imagine moving across the United States, have two kids and go through everything we've experienced the last seven years with other than Tj.

Tj I love you!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Aw! So sweet, We love him too. Is that a wig?? It's funny that I never even remember that he actually does have a nice head of hair when he chooses! haha! Happy Anniversary!

Rob, Brooke, Caleb, Sophie and Jake said...

Happy Anniversary!! yeah it's funny how those "summer flings" can end up going somewhere, huh?! Your wedding picture is beautiful!!

Brian and Janette said...

OH...I remember those "fling" days all to well! Too much fun...and a lot of stress when he had to go back home, but nothing a phone didn't fix! Sure glad you're happy...love ya!

Courtni said...

Congrats you two! Happy Anniversary!

Amy Allred said...

Congrats on 7 years. I don't know TJ but he sure sounds great. And he is pretty lucky to have you Amanda, I've always admired you throughout school for being so strong and headstrong. You never let your lowered your morals.

Diane said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Great pic! I've never seen TJ with hair!