Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fifty, Fifty!



Today is Dad Rosen/Pa's birthday. If you can believe it he's fifty. I have meant to do this post all day. I am really fortunate to have married into such an amazing family and I am so blessed to be able to call this man Dad. I know that this will be embarrassing to Dad because he is such a humble person. But I'm going to brag on him.

Dad is one of the most generous people I know. He does so much for so many people and most people (including those who are on the recipient end) will never know everything he's done for so many. Some of it's monetary and some of it's service. He is always thinking about other people. I can't even begin to list all the ways he's given to our family alone even just this year. But let me give just one example from this year alone. This spring the boys and I were going to go out to Arizona for my sisters graduation. However, after buying our house it wasn't going to happen. When dad found out that we were scrapping our trip he volunteered to send me and the boys out so that I could be there with my family. This meant more to me than words could describe.

Dad is one of the best fathers and grandfathers I know. Dad truly values his family. When we had Joel Dad decided it was important for our family to be together and so he and Mom moved across the country, left a stable job and joined us in Florida. He drops just about everything to see and spend time not only with the boys (Joel and Vance) but with Tj and me. Regardless of how busy life gets he will pick up the phone to listen to the jabber of the boys. He calls us to see how our day is and really goes out of his way to get together with us. The boys absolutely adore Pa. And Tj and I both love and respect Dad.

I am always amazed at how much dad cares about people. When he taught school he truly wanted his students to succeed. When the kids would make it to nationals he was sincerely proud of them and they could tell. He keeps in touch with many of his old coworkers and wants them to succeed. I love to hear the stories about the times when he used to bring homeless or random people home to shower or have dinner. You've got to admire this attribute.

Dad has an amazing sense of humor. He loves to tell funny stories about the crazy things he did growing up. He has fantastic timing and he loves to pass this sense of humor on to the younger generations. At age 2 Joel is already being introduced to the concept of a joke by Pa. Just tonight he told Nama while they were driving in the car "Nama, a mouse!" (Mind you she is terrified of mice!) So she turns around and asks, what? And he again says with a smile, "Nama, a mouse. It's a joke- ha ha ha." Dad has also introduced several of his nieces and nephews to the concept of sarcasm. But his humor is always good natured.

Dad, I hope you have had a great birthday. We love you! Thank you for all you do for us. So many of the things I love about Tj I know he's gotten from you and your example. Happy 50th!

2 comments:

Tj said...

I second everything! Here's to another half century of flagrantly spoiling our children.

Love ya Dad, Happy Birthday!

Tom Rosen said...

Manda,

Thanks for the kind words in your blog. Turning 50 has been very special. I'm a very happy person, my life is good. (It hasn't always been).

Another reason to keep on going when you are young, life keeps getting better as you age.

Love you,

Dad