Thursday, June 11, 2009

An "Ah- Ha!" moment captured.

Every once in awhile I think that as parents we're blessed with those "Ah-ha!" moments. The ones were you feel like you're given a little insight into what you're doing right. I had one of those this morning.

I think having boys is the best. Now this is because I have boys. When I had one little boy I thought he was the best, then I had two and now I think having two boys is the best. I'm sure if I had a little girl or if I had girls I'd think they were the best too. But I especially think that boys are the best. In the news and in society you hear about all these studies and you may see all these little boys who are mischievous, active, and high spirited. You hear everyday about the numbers of kids-but especially boys- diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. You hear about how boys struggle in school and get into fights and you get the feeling that as a parent of boys- look out! You're in for struggles. I was terrified when I found out I was having a boy- I didn't know how to raise a boy.

My boys are energetic, they love to race and wrestle, they love shooting monsters and/or aliens with guns, they love playing with each other, they love jumping off of anything and EVERYTHING. They love swimming and splashing. They love "pain" and love giving "pain". They think goofy faces and noises are hilarious and potty humor is a comedic gem. They make up stories involving monsters and animals- who usually are getting into trouble- and they themselves are the heroes of the day. And you know, I feel so blessed to be able to experience all of this with them. They are such good boys and yeah they have their moments and most of the time I feel completely wiped out trying to keep up with them. But I love being part of their "boy world". Nobody can prepare you for a little boy. And heaven knows I have SO much more ahead of me that I can't even begin to imagine.

I just hope that I always remember this moment. Sometimes I feel like I'm a slacker mom because I don't sit down and drill my boys on shapes and colors and numbers. We don't do flashcards and I don't start teaching them how to read at age 3. But I read to them and we talk and I let them play. And I realized today that right now that's what matters. I love that when I have Vance in my lap it's his first instinct to grab a book and have me read to him while we cuddle. I love that Joel is so concerned about his friends and his brother. I love that when things are stressful or they're away from me they ask for me because they know that I love them and will try and make it better- even if it's just giving them a hug and telling them I love them.

I think there is so much pressure today for parents and kids alike to perform. There's the expectation- whether internal or from society- to put on appearances: drive the "right" car, have the "right" house, maintain said house, have kids meeting the "right" milestones and achievements at the "right" time or early. And it's so easy to get caught up in all of it that you forget the important things. Eating dinner as a family, playing and pretending, treating people with kindness and respect, and maybe most importantly showing love and appreciation for those people who matter most- your family.

6 comments:

Brian and Janette said...

Thanks for sharing your "ah-ha" moment with us Manda. And....I couldn't agree with you more!

Shawna said...

Well said, Manda. And just so you know- Little girls aren't so different... mine are similar to your description... without the love of pain ;)

Vanessa said...

hey Manda thank you for sharing that with me. I came home just now feeling really unqualified for the role of a mother and wife. But you are right, a mother cannot give her children and husband anything better than her love. Thank you.
Hope you are all doing well.

Anonymous said...

What a great "ah-ha" moment. I couldn't have said it better myself and I have 3 boys that are ADHD. What a wonderful ride it is having boys. Girls are fun too, since my daughter is so much older than the boys. I was able to experience her younger year milestones with it just being her until she was 7. Thanks for shareing

Celeste said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. You're doing an awesome job :)

Courtni said...

well said! loved that post.