Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Skill sets, Mother's Day, and Potty Training.

So I feel like life is flying by. I know people are always telling new moms to enjoy the time because it flies by. This seems to be especially true lately. The boys seem to be growing up so fast. When we were at Disney World we bought them the little "toggles" that go into Crocs. It was one of the best moves we made. We bought each of them one and put them in their right Croc. It has made it a lot easier for the boys to put their shoes on. Joel can basically get himself dressed all by himself as long as there aren't buttons or zippers. Of course just because he can doesn't mean that he always wants to.
Vance on the other hand is Mr. Independent. He continues to amaze us with his vocabulary. He loves Elmo and anything cuddly. Tj has started giving him the nick-name "Linus" because he hauls his blankey everywhere with him. (It actually REALLY grosses me out.) He is teething like mad. And everything Joel does Vance wants to do too.


Joel put on my shoes and thought it was so funny.
Too bad we didn't have a toggle for my tennis shoes.

Of course everything Joel does Vance needs to do too.

Joel and Vance are best friends.
This is the best Mother's Day present I could ask for.
They woke up and after some coaxing from Tj I received a chorus of
"Happy Mother's Day!"
Then they helped Tj make breakfast
(well more like they dictated and Tj cooked).
So they delivered breakfast in bed consisting of whole wheat blueberry waffle with peanut butter and an egg white omelette with cheese and orange juice. It was really funny because Joel kept getting confused with his greeting and saying "Happy Birthday, mommy!"

(I told Joel to put his arm around Vance and he put him in a choke hold!)
So the boys are always doing funny things.
I love that they can play by themselves
and it cracks me up with what they come up with.
Tonight Joel found his rain boots and put them on.
Of course everything Joel does Vance needs to do too.
So they put their rain boots on and meandered around the living room.
(Notice their fantastic farmer tans!)
I think that I'm going to be given a run for my money with these two.


And finally! I guess third time is truly a charm.
We are on week two with potty training.
I always joked that I was going to wait and potty train Joel and Vance together.
Well what do you know?! We're potty training Joel and Vance together.
Joel is doing REALLY well.
Of course he has the benefit of the previous two rounds.
Joel is basically in "big boy underware" during the day.
He will tell us when he needs to do his business and will try to go when asked.
He is really doing such a good job.
I'm guessing he'll be completely done in a few weeks- maybe?!
Vance is doing pretty well too. Right now he basically will go when Joel does.
But he is still trying to figure it out.
He says he has to potty a lot but is about 50/50.
I figure by the time Joel is done then Vance will have practiced long enough.

2 comments:

Rob, Brooke, Caleb, Sophie and Jake said...

I love the pictures, especially the one of Joel and Vance together in their rain boots. Good luck with the potty training; it sounds like it's going really well!

The High Family- said...

I can't believe you are potty training 2 at the same time. You are amazing! I can barely handle one at a time.